Monday, February 25, 2013

Coffee!!!

Coffee!!!



For some it is a necessary part of the day and today it was a necessary part of my morning.  I love me some Starbucks or *bucks as I usually write it.  I not a huge coffee drinker but I do go thru fazes where I take in intravenously.  My ultimate is a Venti Skinny Vanilla Latte Hot from Starbucks … it is sooo good, the golden caffeine is just strong and hot enough, the vanilla is just vanilla-ey enough, and the milk is just right to make a well balanced breakfast.


I have been a Starbucks drinker forever, since I have worked in a mall with a Starbucks for the last 10 years, I have just stopped there every morning.  Now that I work outside the mall, I don’t stop nearly as often.  When I first started at my office, they had this horrendous mud they called coffee, it was the most acidic thing I have ever had.  It was like drinking mud mixed with battery acid.  I petitioned for a change to our coffee brand and a month ago, I won, we got a new brand of coffee.  The new coffee is better but it is still a little too muddy with battery acid mixed in for me, so I don’t drink it that much.

I never drink coffee at home, I don’t know why.  Part of me feels like coffee and work or shopping go hand in hand and that is the only times I really drink it.  I have always been a big caffeine drinker mostly soda, but in the last 5 years I have really cut my soda intake back to just a soda with lunch.

But coffee is coffee and there is not replacement for it.

To end, I will leave you with a list of some interesting quote on coffee …
“Our culture runs on coffee and gasoline, the first often tasting like the second.” - Edward Abbey

“Way too much coffee. But if it weren’t for the coffee, I’d have no identifiable personality whatsoever.” - David Letterman

“No coffee can be good in the mouth that does not first send a sweet offering of odor to the nostrils.” - Henry Ward Beecher

“The morning cup of coffee has an exhilaration about it which the cheering influence of the afternoon or evening cup of tea cannot be expected to reproduce.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr. (1891)

“I have measured out my life with coffee spoons.” - T.S. Eliot, The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

“Over second and third cups flow matters of high finance, high state, common gossip, and low comedy.” - New York Times (1949)

“Coffee is good for talent, but genius wants prayer.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

“Coffee comes in five descending stages: Coffee, Java, Jamoke, Joe, and Carbon Remover.” - Robert A. Heinlen, Glory Road

“Tobacco, coffee, alcohol, hashish, prussic acid, strychnine, are weak dilutions the surest poison is time.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

“Coffee is the common man’s gold, and like gold, it brings to every person the feeling of luxury and nobility.” - Sheik-Abd-al-Kadir, In Praise of Coffee (1587)

“I like cappuccino, actually. But even a bad cup of coffee is better than no coffee at all.” - David Lynch

“Making coffee has become the great compromise of the decade. It’s the only thing “real” men do that doesn’t seem to threaten their masculinity. To women, it’s on the same domestic entry level as putting the spring back into the toilet-tissue holder or taking a chicken out of the freezer to thaw.” - Erma Bombeck

“Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water.” - Women’s Petition Against Coffee (1674)

“Coffee has … expand[ed] humanity’s working-day from twelve to a potential twenty-four hours. The tempo, the complexity, the tension of modern life, call for something that can perform the miracle of stimulating brain activity, without evil, habit-forming after-effects.” - Margaret Meagher in To Think of Coffee (1942)

“Coffee is real good when you drink it gives you time to think. It’s a lot more than just a drink; it’s something happening. Not as in hip, but like an event, a place to be, but not like a location, but like somewhere within yourself. It gives you time, but not actual hours or minutes, but a chance to be, like be yourself, and have a second cup.” - Gertrude Stein

“Blacker than a moonless night. Hotter and more bitter than Hell itself… That is coffee.” - Ace Attorney Phoenix Wright in Godot
“Of all the unchristian beverages that ever passed my lips, Turkish coffee is the worst. The cup is small, it is smeared with grounds; the coffee is black, thick, unsavory of smell, and execrable in taste. The bottom of the cup has a muddy sediment in it half an inch deep. This goes down your throat, and portions of it lodge by the way, and produce a tickling aggravation that keeps you barking and coughing for an hour.” - Mark Twain, The Innocents Abroad

“Coffee in Brazil is always made fresh and, except at breakfast time, drunk jet black from demitasses first filled almost to the brim with the characteristic moist, soft coffee sugar of the country, which melts five times as fast as our hard granulated. For breakfast larger cups are used, and they’re more than half filled with cream. This cafe con leite doesn’t re-quire so much sugar as cafe preto-black coffee.” - Bob Brown and Cora Rose, South American Cookbook (1939)

“In most households a cup of coffee is considered the one thing needful at the breakfast hour. But how often this exhilarating beverage, that ‘comforteth the brain and heateth and helpeth digestion’ is made muddy and ill-flavoured! … You may roast the berries ‘to the queen’s taste,’ and grind them fresh every morning, and yet, if the golden liquid be not prepared in the most immaculate of coffee-pots, with each return of morning, a new disappointment awaits you.” - Janet McKenzie Hill, Practical Cooking and Serving (1902)

“The morning cup of Café Noir is an integral part of the life of a Creole household. The Creoles hold as a physiological fact that this custom contributes to longevity, and point, day after day, to examples of old men and women of fourscore, and over, who attest to the powerful aid they have received through life from a good, fragrant cup of coffee in the early morning.” - Picayune Creole Cook Book (1909)

No comments:

Post a Comment